Trikone Australia values your privacy and takes reasonable steps to protect personal information (that is, information that identifies or may reasonably be used to identify you) received from volunteers, families, service providers, sponsors and community partners.
What are the definitions of personal and sensitive information?
Personal information is information or an opinion about an identified individual, or an individual who is reasonably identifiable. Examples of personal information that we collect may include names, addresses, email addresses and phone numbers. This personal information is obtained in many ways including interviews, correspondence, by telephone and facsimile, by email, via our website and from third parties.
Sensitive information is information or an opinion about an individual’s: racial or ethnic origin; political opinions; membership of a political association; religious beliefs or affiliations; philosophical beliefs; membership of a professional or trade association; membership of a trade union; sexual orientation or practices; criminal record; or health information..
What personal information do we collect and why?
Trikone only collects personal information from you that is necessary for us to perform its functions. The types of personal information Trikone collects, and purposes of collecting that information, include:
- Providing services – Trikone may collect our members’ names, addresses and other contact details, date of birth, or other information required in order to provide our support and communicate with our members. Digital images or videos may also be collected if required for support provision. The specific information will depend on the type of support provided.
- Donors – when you make a donation, including via the website, Trikone collects and stores in our fundraising database your name, email address, mailing address, payment and billing details (including credit card details if relevant), and other contact information. We will use this information to process your donation, complete your tax receipt, to send you further information about Trikone and for promotional purposes. Trikone engages third-party service providers to process online donations, and we take reasonable steps to ensure that they are bound to protect the privacy of that personal information.
- Supporters and volunteers – Trikone may collect its supporters’ and volunteers’ names, addresses and other contact details. We will also retain records of communication with these individuals, as well as other personal information about our current and potential supporters and volunteers. This would only be for the purpose of encouraging, recording and acknowledging their support and to communicate with them about Trikone and our activities. Supporters and volunteers may choose to have their names and addresses removed from our database by contacting us.
- Distributing publications – with an individual’s consent we collect contact details (which may include name, address, email address, and mobile phone number) when individuals interact with us in order to distribute newsletters and other communications in print and electronic form from time to time. Recipients may choose to have their names and addresses removed from our distribution lists by contacting us.
- Conducting events – we collect contact details and other personal information about members and supporters who wish to join or participate in our events and programs we conduct. This information is used to administer these events and to promote and seek support for such events and for the activities of Trikone. With the consent of the relevant person, this information may include health or other sensitive information.
- Assisting with your queries – you may choose to provide us with your name or other contact details when you contact us so that we can respond to your requests for our newsletter or for other information about Trikone’s services or operations.
- Conducting our general activities – Triknoe collects personal information about individuals who are contracted by our suppliers (including service and content providers), contractors and agents for our general operations.
- Applying for a position as a volunteer with Trikone – we may collect your personal information, including name and contact details, information about your working history and relevant records checks when you apply for a position with us in order for us to assess your suitability for that or other positions.
How secure is your personal information?
We regard the security of your personal information as a priority and implement a number of physical and electronic measures to protect it. Trikone will ensure that:
- Personal information is protected from misuse, loss, unauthorised access, modification or inappropriate disclosure;
- Personal information is stored in a manner that reasonably protects it from misuse and loss and from unauthorised access, modification or disclosure;
- Electronic data is kept within secure network storage and ensure that staff may only access that data which is necessary to perform their role.
- When the personal information is no longer needed for the purpose for which it was obtained; Trikone will take reasonable steps to destroy or permanently de-identify that information.
- We remind you, however, that the Internet is not a secure environment and, although all care is taken, we cannot guarantee the security of information you provide to us via electronic means.
Quality of Personal Information
Trikone will take reasonable steps to ensure that the personal information it collects uses or discloses is accurate, complete, up-to-date and relevant to its functions and activities.
Accessing and correcting your personal information
If you believe your personal information held by us is inaccurate, incomplete or out of date, you may contact Trikone to request we correct that information. In most cases, we will amend any inaccurate, incomplete or out of date information. If we are not able to correct your personal information in the way requested by you (for example, if it is necessary for us to keep a record of what we knew or understood to be correct in respect to your personal information at a particular time), we will:
- notify you of our reasons for refusing your request (unless it would be unreasonable for us to do so);
- let you know how you may make a complaint about our decision, should you wish to do so; and
- take reasonable steps to note on our record containing your personal information that you claim the information is inaccurate, incomplete or out of date.
Your sensitive information
Without your consent, we will not collect information about you that reveals your racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, religious or philosophical beliefs or affiliations, membership of a professional or trade association, membership of a trade union, details of health, disability, sexual orientation, or criminal record. Sensitive information will only be collected if it is specifically required for operational purposes.
This is subject to some exceptions including:
- the collection is required by law
- when the information is necessary for the establishment, exercise or defence of a legal claim
If you want to obtain additional information on your privacy rights and how you can enforce them, you can visit the website of the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner at http://www.privacy.gov.au or http://www.oaic.gov.au/